Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Ghostess

The 19th century architecture of Stella's new house was beautiful. The spiraling features against the dark wood was truly a sign of craftsmanship. It was all so exciting and new - being in this new house. Emilio had already left for work and Stella cherished her few minutes alone in the new space. She walked down the beautiful wooden stair case to see Emilio's mother, Bonnie, having a cup of tea in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Bonnie. What do you think of the new place?" Stella yawned as climbed onto a barstool.
"It's a beautiful home. You two should be really proud.... I did notice that there were some issues with the front door. You might want to get that taken care of before you go to bed tonight. It's better to be safe than sorry."
Stella nodded and looked around. They did have a few projects to take care of, but nothing they couldn't handle - replacing the front door and doing a little paint touch up.

Stella walked out onto the front porch with Bonnie and inspected the defective threshold. It would need to be replaced before tonight. It was extremely difficult to close and lock, and the pre-door wasn't even attached to the house - merely propped on the porch for decoration. As Bonnie walked to her car she turned and said "Emilio forgot to take his lunch to work. Maybe you should swing by his office." "Okay, I will. Thanks for coming over, Bonnie. You can come back at any time," Stella replied. The two exchanged pleasantries and soon Stella was left sipping tea in the front yard and watching Bonnie drive away.

As she walked back up the porch, Stella got a chill. There was a certain spooky element to the house. She inspected her porch as she thought about the unique history of the house. High class southern folks with a preference toward more elaborate tastes, the murder of their daughter. Stella wasn't entirely clear of the history, but she knew that at one time a lady named Jill and her daughter Allyssa had died in the home. "Spooky!" she thought to herself.

Stella walked back into the parlor room and standing there was a pudgy, white woman with short dark hair. It was parted directly down the middle and it made the woman look extremely dowdy. "Can I help you?" Stella asked. The woman threw her head back and laughed. Her focus was incredible. "Don't you know who I am, Stella? Are you too stupid to figure that out?" the woman chuckled.
"I-I-I don't know who you are. I don't know why you're in my house. And I'm kindly asking you to leave now," said Stella.
"I'm Jill, you idiot. And I won't leave this house. You will."
Stella was inspecting the woman's face -the contorted half snarl - half smile was extremely upsetting. She quickly realized that she was in danger and this Jill character would enjoy nothing more than inflicting harm on Stella and Emilio.
"Where's Allyssa?"
"Funny you should ask, Stella. She's behind you. Gnawing away at that front door of yours. You'll never get it repaired and anyone can just....enter your home." Jill chortled.
"That means they can enter your home too, Jill. What do you think about that?" Stella's meager attempt to outsmart the spirit was long lost on the ghoul. She frantically looked around for things within arms reach before realizing that she was holding a tea-cup full of hot liquid. Stella launched the tea-cup at Jill's head and shouted, "Get out of my house!"
Jill only craned her face toward the floor and lifted her eyes. Evil incarnate. "It won't be that easy. This is my house. And I won't be leaving," Jill growled.

Stella felt the child approaching her from behind but waited until the girl was directly behind her before she spun around to apprehend the girl. With Jill's daughter in captivity, Stella could make certain demands. Her body was shaking with fear, but she refused to released the child.

"Your effort is useless, Stella. We aren't threatened by you in any way."
"Then why are you taunting me? Why bother? Can't you just live peacefully in the basement?"
"This is our house. And you will be leaving."
"Clearly, Jill, you're threatened by us. You want us to leave because you're scared. Scared of what we could do to you. And you should be. This isn't the first time I've dabbled with the paranormal."

And it wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment