Washington was distraught. Grabbing at his wig, wringing his hands, and pacing about the room.
"George, what's wrong?" Stella asked.
"Something is not right. My wife has died and now my kids are in danger."
"What kind of danger? Maybe I can help you out of this."
"I don't know. I don't know! But this are going to be bad. Will you stay here tonight? In the State Room?"
"Of course, George. I'll stay."
Stella began to settle into the state room. A large storm had rolled in and she began to wondering if George Washington was frightened of storms. She pulled the heavy covers up over her chest and adjusted her night cap for the last time before closing her eyes and taking one deep breath. Washington burst into the room and lightning illuminated him from the windows behind.
"You have to come quick. Go out to the stable and prepare the horses. We ride tonight."
"George, what are you talking about? Everything is fine," Stella cooed.
"You fool. The British are coming and we don't have any time for you doubting, Thomas," Washington snipped.
"Okay, George, okay. I'll go out to the stable and prepare everything. You should get dressed. At least try to escape with dignity."
Stella quickly dressed, but decided not to wear the wig. It would be a mess in the rain. She went out to the stable and found a lantern lit. The horses were already tied up at the door, waiting to be mounted.
Washington came running out of his home and un-hitched his horse. "Come on! We have to go FAST, " he shouted as he began to disappear into the night.
Stella wondered why Washington didn't wake his children.
No comments:
Post a Comment